Mantecados is a popular item in Gibraltar and a fave home-made treat during Christmas and Easter, so we thought we’d make a healthier version for you all to enjoy. These are free from Sugar, Wheat, Gluten, Grain, Dairy, Soy & Egg, perfect with people with many intolerances.
- 100g Coconut Oil
- 200g Natural Smooth Peanut Butter
- 50g Natural Almond Butter*
- 12 Tbsp Peanut Powder**
- 8-10 Tbsp Coconut Flour
- 1 Tsp Butter Extract (Can be subbed for Vanilla or similar)
- 1/2 Cup Xylitol (Can be subbed with Coconut Sugar or granulated sweetener)
- 4 Tbsp Sweet Freedom Syrup (Can be subbed with honey or agave)
- 3/4 Cup Ground Almonds
*Can use an extra 50g of peanut butter, but the almond butter will give it a nice flavour.
**If you would like a higher protein version sub some tbsp of peanut powder with a Vegan Vanilla Protein powder/ or Vanilla Casein.
1. Preheat oven to approximately 180-200 degrees C, you want a med-high heat. Add your coconut oil, peanut butter and almond butter to a pan and melt at medium heat, alternatively you can do this in the microwave too.
2. In order as they are listed, one by one, go adding the rest of the ingredients until you have a sticky but mouldable doughy consistency. Move to bowl and place in fridge for about 15mins to make it easier to roll and shape.
3. Line a baking tray (or a few) with greaseproof paper and start rolling balls of dough and placing on sheets. Then, using a cookie stamp (or fingers) press down into fat cookie shapes. Bake in oven for about 10 minutes, you need the cookies to golden on outside but remain soft to touch on inside.
4. Once all done, place in fridge and let cool for 10-15 minutes (as they will be rather hot to the touch). This will also help them harden a bit and not break in your hands.
5. In the meantime invite your friends over, prepare some hot drinks and then take out your healthy Mantecados for all to enjoy!
This recipe yielded 30 cookies, so amend if you want to make less.
Keep stored in fridge in a container.
Each Mantecado is: 106 Cals | 8F | 4.3C | 3.7P
Recipe by The Muscle Bakery