- 2 tins Red Salmon,
- 1 small onion,
- 3 cloves garlic,
- 2 teaspoons tomato puree or paste.
- Dash of Tabasco
- salt and pepper
- 4 potatoes boiled and mashed.
1. Make sure you get rid of small bones in salmon tins, this might take a while but worth it, you don’t want to find grindy bits in your Brazo Gitano.
2. Fry onion in a little olive oil then the chopped garlic, add the flaked salmon and tomato puree, tabasco and salt and pepper. Make sure the salmon mixture is on the dry side no saucy otherwise it runs into the mashed potato.
3. Mash the boiled potatoes, add a knob of butter salt and pepper, no milk. When cold shape into a rectangle on greaseproof paper or damp tea towel, fill up evenly with the cold salmon mixture and roll up slowly.
4. Cover with mayonnaise and decorate with whatever you want. Anchovies taste and look good as do sweet peppers, olives etc.
Recipe by Ana Maria Morro