- 225 g Sugar
- 225 g Margarine
- 1 tbs Olive Oil
- 4 Eggs
- 225 g Self Raising Flour
- 110 g Desiccated Coconut
- Vanilla Extract
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C.
2. Mix the sugar and butter in a bowl and beat together into a soft creamy liquid. Grab four eggs and separate the egg white and yolks. Pour the egg whites into a separate bowl and leave to one side then pour the egg yolks in with the butter and sugar mix.
3. Add the tablespoon of olive oil and half a teaspoon of vanilla extract.
4. Grab your electric whisk and whisk the egg whites until the white foam peaks and remains pointed and leave to one side.
5. Go back to your cake mix bowl and stir. Now add in your coconut. Once blended nicely, add in the sieved flour and mix together until everything is a wonderfully creamy texture.
6. Pour in half the egg white mix and fold over then pour the rest and fold over once more. Using your electric whisk, mix together the ingredients.
7. Grab your baking tin and place greaseproof or foil paper inside, I tend to rub the inside with butter and sprinkle flour around so that the cake mix doesn’t stick to the sides or foil once cooked.
8. Pour in your mixture and place in the oven for 20 – 30 minutes. After this time check the cake is baked through properly by prodding different areas of the cake with a dry knife. If the knife is clean it is ready, otherwise leave a while longer on a reduced heat.
9. You may wish to cover with jam and sprinkle over with more desiccated coconut or if you feel indulgent, a layer of dark chocolate.