- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups Basic Chicken Stock, plus more as needed
- 1 head broccoli (about 1 3/4 pounds), trimmed and cut into florets; peel and cut stems crosswise into 1/2-
- inch-thick pieces
- pinch nutmeg (optional) it gives it a lovely taste
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- a few teaspoons flour (if needed)
- cream or single cream to finish off.
1. Melt butter in a casserole add the florets and the onion until soft and straw-like coloured.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients except the cream and the flour. After simmering for about half an hour and when the vegetables are tender and the soup has cooled down blend the soup to a thick consistency and heat up.
3. If it is not thick enough to your taste you may add some flour mixed with milk to it. Add the cream to your soup and serve.
Recipe by Ana Maria Morro