- 175 g Unsalted Butter
- 175G g Sugar (Half Light Muscovado,
- Half Golden Caster)
- 75 g Hazelnuts (optional)
- 2 Eggs
- 175 g Self Raising Flour
- 2 – 3 Very Ripe Bananas
- Drop Vanilla Extract
- A Little Demerara Sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C. Line the base and sides of a 20cm x 12cm / 8in x 5in loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
2. Beat the butter and sugars until light and coffee-coloured. 3. Toast the hazelnuts, rub them in a tea towel to remove their skins and finely grind.
3. Slowly add the eggs to the butter and sugar mixture and mix in the toasted ground hazelnuts and self-raising flour.
4. Peel the bananas and chop them into small pieces. Gently fold the vanilla extract and the bananas into the cake mixture, turning gently and taking care not to over mix.
5. Scoop the batter into the prepared loaf tin. Dust with a little demerara sugar and bake for about 1 hour to 1h 10 minutes, covering with foil if the top starts to darken too quickly.
By Sarah-Seamus McCarthy